Saturday, June 23, 2012

Pasta with Pan-Fried Kale and Beans

  

There are days when ooey gooey homemade bread with a pound of sugar is completely necessary.
And then there are days when all you need is a big bunch of kale and you're all set.

I love kale. It's rich in nutrients, fiber, vitamins, and can even help lower cholesterol and prevent your risk of cancer! Woohoo! We're battling cancer with this super vegetable!
I try and eat kale as much as I can, it's said to be one of the healthiest vegetables around and it just makes me feel like I've done something nice for my body after I eat it. You're welcome, body.

Kale scares some people at first with its reputation as being a bitter leafy green found in only health-food junkies fridges. BUT it is slowly but surely gaining popularity and mixed with the right ingredients, it is quite delicious to even those who may be skeptical.

I've made this recipe multiple times for my family (who are just getting used to my super-healthy-natural food obsession) and they seemed to enjoy it!
My dad  likes the way the beans get crispy when fried, and said the dish was "especially delicious" (he made sure I quoted him on that one).
This was my first time making it with the pasta and my family enjoyed the addition.

This recipe is simple and can be whipped together in about 20 minutes. And its good for you! Bonus!

Pasta with Pan-Fried Kale and Beans 

adapted from: Heidi Swanson's 101 cookbooks
serves 2-4

Ingredients:

whole wheat penne pasta (I used a handful per person)
large bunch of kale (as much or as little as you would like, I used about 3 good-sized stalks)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 (15 oz) can cannellini beans (or any other white bean)

⅓ cup walnuts, lightly toasted 
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
scant 1 tablespoon lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon
⅓ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese


Directions:

 Wash kale thoroughly and dry completely. Chop or rip into small pieces. Set aside.
Heat the walnuts in a small frying pan until fragrant and toasted. Set aside.

Start cooking pasta now according to package directions, it should take about 10 minutes.

Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add the beans and stir to coat them. Cook for about 3 or 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. The beans will pop and sort of explode. But that's cool. Let em do their thing.

Add the kale and cook for about a minute, so it starts to lose its structure. Stir in the walnuts and garlic, cook for a few seconds then stir in the nutmeg. Cook for about 10 seconds and stir in the lemon juice and zest (I only used about half of my zest, personal preference). Remove from heat and serve dusted with Parmesan cheese.
Your body will thank you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment