Sunday, October 14, 2012

Pumpkin Granola




Granola. Now don't get me started on granola.
People pay way too much money for their fancy bags of sugar-filled granola, when it's super cheap to make. And it's super simple to make too! Literally, you just throw everything into a bowl and stir.
I love making granola because there's basically an unlimited variety of combinations, and like I said, it's so easy and leaves you with a week or more of healthy breakfasts.
I'll admit it. I am a granola cruncher.
Granola munchin runs in the family ;)

My dad first introduced me to making granola, and ever since then, I feel dirty whenever I buy granola at the grocery store. Like the homemade granola gods are watching disdainfully and shaking their heads at me.

So do yourself a favor, don't upset the granola gods. Make homemade granola.
People will think you're super cool and hipster. And you will feel better about yourself because you're providing yourself with a hearty breakfast supply for half the cost of buying the brand name stuff. Oh and you fill up your entire house with the amazing smell of warm, autumn spice, so it's definitely a win win.

This version of granola really brings out the flavors of Fall with added pumpkin puree, and has no refined sugars or oils. A must-have for this season's breakfast table!

I'm on my way to converting the world into savvy granola bakers, instead of silly granola spenders! Crunch away my friends :)


This recipe made just enough for me, but you may want to double it to maximize your granola supply.

Pumpkin Granola

adapted from: ellysaysopa
makes about 3 cups

Ingredients:


1½ cups rolled oats
¼ cup chopped raw or slivered almonds
¼ cup chopped walnuts
¼ cup flax seeds 
¼ cup toasted wheat germ
teaspoon salt 
¾ teaspoon cinnamon 
teaspoon nutmeg 
¼ teaspoon cloves 
teaspoon ginger
teaspoon allspice 

cup pumpkin puree 
½ teaspoon vanilla extract 
cup honey or maple syrup 
cup dried cranberries (optional; add after baking)

Directions:


Preheat the oven to 300°F.

In a large bowl, mix together the oats, nuts, salt, and spices.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, vanilla, and honey/maple syrup. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir well until completely coated.

Spread the mixture onto baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes, taking out of the oven and stirring every 10 minutes until golden brown.
After sitting out of the oven for a bit, the granola will crisp up.
When cool, add dried cranberries if desired. 

3 comments: